When we are going to choose a product on Ebay we can view the seller information. We can see the total of the votes in description, communication, shipping time and shipping costs. We will also see the positive and negative votes it has received in recent months or we can see the evaluations made by all the users who have bought something. This is why it is important to maintain a good reputation, be reliable and careful.
What to keep in mind?
Do you have to pay to sell?
No. If you are going to sell occasionally or if you are going to sell things that you no longer use, such as clothes that you do not want, you can create up to 50 ads for free on eBay. These 50 ads are free and all the ones you create after reaching the monthly limit will cost you € 0.35. Although it is free to expose your products, the web does have a commission and you will have to pay them 10%.
Rules for sellers
Before knowing how to sell on eBay, we must know what we can sell and what we cannot see on this platform. The policy of allowed and prohibited items is extensive and we cannot summarize it in a few words but it is enough that you go to the Ebay conditions page, in customer service, to know what is allowed and what is not. It will depend on the type of content you want to sell that you have to abide by some conditions or others but you will see the different links on the policies related to articles on sexuality, alcoholic beverages, used clothing, drugs, electronics, antiques, food, hazardous materials, lists of email… Just tap on the one that corresponds and get informed about your specific case.
Although they are excessively extensive, Ebay has general rules for anyone who wants to use its platform to sell … For example, they remind you that you must specify shipping and handling charges and that you must specify in case there are additional costs for delivery confirmation or acknowledgment of receipt. You must also indicate when an item will be shipped and you cannot indicate that you are not responsible for delivery. These statements of the type “I am not responsible for …” are not allowed in relation to the shipment of the product, for example.
The rules for sellers also explain that in the terms and conditions of the sale, in the advertisements, dyou must include:
- Payment methods you accept
- Return policies
- Replacement fee, if any
- Shipping and handling method, prices
- Taxes and fees imposed
- You must indicate the conditions of the transaction
- You must guarantee delivery within the term
Types of sellers
It will depend on what you want to sell and how much you want to register as a seller private or professional seller. The latter is the most suitable if you want to sell on Ebay frequently since the former is designed for sporadic sales. For example, if every two months you want to make a craft project available to customers, etc. In the second case, professionals will be able to have their own store. Here we will focus on how to sell on eBay in a particular way.
Start selling on Ebay
If you want to sell something only once, once a year … In that case, you can register on eBay by following the usual steps: fill in name and surname, email and password. Once you are in “My Ebay” you will see in the menu on the left the “Sell” section where you will see all the options in case of being a sporadic seller.
- Select “Sell”
- Write on the box what you want to sell
- Choose the category among all those that will appear
- Find items similar to yours
- Choose “Sell one like this”
If there is none similar, you can create a new ad.
The first, you choose the quality or the state, which will depend on the type of product it is. In our case, being shoes, we will have to fill in:
- New in package
- New without package
- New with defects
But the status of the product can be:
- New, unused or brand new
- New even though the original package is missing or has been opened
- Repaired by the manufacturer
- Repaired by the seller (that is, by you or a third party)
- New with tags or new with box (especially clothes and shoes)
- New without tags (not released but has no tag)
- for scrapping or it does not work
Features and photos
When you have chosen the state, you will have to fill in all the characteristics of the article with as much detail as possible for the buyer …
- Style (in the case of shoes if it is espadrille, ballet …)
- Top Material
- Shoe size (in the EU but you can also add in others)
In addition, you will have to add a photograph. Depending on the product you will have to add some images or others but it will be enough to drag them or upload them to this website. It depends on what you are going to sell on eBay that he asks you for some images or others but, in this case, what he asks us is: main photo, from above, from below, front, back, right, left, details …
Finally, we will have to add a description with all possible details. We have a text box where to report any characteristics. For example, if you want to put the season that it is, the type of sole, how comfortable it is, the defects it has, why are you selling them.
How do we set the price? There are several options. You can set it in auction format and buyers will have to bid on it. There is a starting price that is usually low and during a specific number of days they can be bidding. In addition, you can add a minimum price, the lowest price that it has decided that you are willing to accept. This way you will avoid that it is almost given away.
You also have the option of setting the price in a traditional way. You assign the price to the item and it is what it is worth. Although there is the possibility of allowing potential buyers to make you other offers. You can listen to them and decide if you are going to accept that possible offer or if you directly reject it and wait.
There are several types of shipments depending on whether they are letters or packages … From here you will have to choose the type of shipment you want to add to your sale
- Post registered letters up to 2 kg with tracking information, without insurance and with estimated shipping costs from 3.30 to 8.10.
- Ordinary letters up to 2 KG with shipping from 2 to 4 working days without tracking information and without insurance. With a price that ranges from 0.55 cents to approximately 5.35 euros.
- Urgent certified letters up to 2 kg from 1 to 2 working days with tracking information and without insurance and with a price ranging from 5.65 euros to 10.80 euros depending.
- Standard Pack Mail for packages up to 20 kilograms with tracking information and without insurance and with estimated shipping costs 11.45 to 36.89 euros.
- Blue Package Post with shipping from 2 to 5 working days with a maximum weight of 20 kilograms with tracking information and without insurance and with estimated shipping costs of 10.67 to 33.78 euros.
- Premium Paq Mail with shipping in two business days of packages of up to 30 GB with tracking information, without insurance and with prices or estimated shipping costs of 12.45 euros to 40.90 euros
- Other shipments in 48 hours
- Seur 24 a working day of maximum 30 kg and with a maximum dimension of 300 cm, with tracking information and insurance of up to 75 kg with shipping costs between 12 euros and 26 euros.
You choose the type of shipping and you choose who pays, you or the buyer. You decide if you pay and the buyer receives free shipping or if he pays and what the fixed shipping costs are.
At the bottom you can also mark “local pickup” if someone is near you and can pick up the item at your home or at another place of your choosing.
Once you have made the sale, how do you receive the money? You must have your PayPal account linked and you will receive here the money corresponding to the item sold. Of course, Ebay takes a commission. As collected from the terms and conditions: “When your item is sold, you will pay 10% of the final sale price, excluding shipping and handling charges. This is what we call commission per sale made. The commissions per sale made have a limit, so that you will never pay more than 200 EUR per item, regardless of the final sale price. Different commissions are applied to the ads created in the category Cars and Motorcycles ”
What if it is not sold but you “stay” with someone? “If you ask a buyer for their contact information in the context of a purchase or sale made outside of eBay, we will charge a commission on the sale made for introducing you to the buyer.”
From My Ebay you can see all your sales. You can see all the items that you have currently advertised and active, you can see the sold and the unsold and what you have achieved in that time. Also you will see the different promotions there are (in this case, 50 free ads per month) or if you have left a product in drafts.